Google
 

Monday, February 23, 2009

How Many More, Sir, How Many More?

American Scofflaw

So, I have a close friend who is one of the unfortunate citizens who was laid off due to our failing housing market. This person was laid off over a year ago. They have dutifully filed for their unemployment insurance religiously and recently all of the benefits from the state were exhausted. The agency told this person to continue filing as they were expecting the Stimulus Plan to come through with added benefits. This is where it gets really interesting!

Today, my friend recieved a letter in the mail stating that they were indeed going to be receiving additional benefits through the Stimulus Plan. (I was quite happy to hear that my tax dollars were going to help someone
I knew!) The letter they received today stated that they would be receiving a Citi Debit Card. (Because apparently 45 Billion wasn’t enough?) This card would be funded with the bi-weekly amount from UI and they would be provided with a PIN number to withdraw funds or they were perfectly able to use the card at any retail location that accepted VISA.

All right, so that is the story and now the questions start. Is Citi the only company getting the opportunity to funnel the taxpayers dollars? Is this how the government will start funding all of their projects? Is there an upfront cost to these cards that the government paid to have the cards issued? So many questions, so little time!

I am really not very upset and I don’t know that I think this is a BAD idea, but once again, I feel like the Washington cronyism is once again hard at work. How many of these situations were locked up inside this Stimulus Plan that no one got to read? Every time I turn around, I just keep feeling like Washington is trying to pull a fast one. Why weren’t things like this announced? Why does everything seem so covert? Who is taking care of their buddies under the pretense doing the bidding of “We the people”? What happened to the idea that the laws passed by our government were supposed to be fair and equitable for all? Are banks who have not loaned more money than they should have and made good deals with up-standing consumers given the same opportunity or is this more of the “rewarding the bad behavior” mentality?

If I hear any more on this, I will certainly let you know. What do you think about it? Do you think there should be disclosure on these things? Would you like to know what is in this 1.3 Trillion dollar economic pork pot? I think I would.

No comments:

Parking Tickets

Parking Tickets
Can I pay my tickets here?

Let 'em Hear it

Add to Technorati Favorites

Gottcha, scofflaw

Gottcha, scofflaw

Hottest T-Shirts on the Web

Favorite Scofflaw Movies

  • The Godfather
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Dirty Harry
  • The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
  • The Treasure of The Sierra Madre
  • The Long Good Friday
  • Pacific Heights
  • Midnight Cowboy
  • Highway61
  • Duel
  • Catch Me if You Can
  • Glengarry Glenn Ross